Week 6  This week we get the final part of the keel, 23, and vertical keel parts 18 & 25

The bits we received

And what we did with them

The last section of keel is added, so I can screw it to a building board now.

Here is the keel screwed to a board.  I used a heavy duty pine shelf from Homebase.  It's 1.2m long, so just about long enough.  It's constructed from several laminations of pine, laid side by side, so it should be fairly warp resistant.  I've covered it in grease proof paper to stop the model being permanently glued to the board.  I've also cheated, and made the bow and stern sections to make sure I get the keel in the right place.

I drilled holes in both the keel and some scraps of ply, which were left over from the fret.  These will spread the load and stop the keep being crushed.  The screws were those that came with the shelf !  Note that they are in far enough from the sides so I can still get them out once the structure is completed (I hope !)

The frames from issues 1 & 2 are easily fitted.  Lego (not shown here) makes an easy square to get the frame upright.

Note the scrapes of ply at the ends of parts 7 make sure that the adjacent frame parts will fit.

Here are the frames from issue 3 and side rails from issue 4.

Here are the frames and sides from issue 5.  Note that there is an extra screwed scrap of wood holding down the end of the keel.  It wouldn't sit flat for some reason.  The screw soon persuaded it to behave !

This completes the work for issue 6.

Things not yet done

Issue 1 : Glue frames to keel. : Done, but deck supports still to fix.
Issue 2 : Glue frames to keel. : Done, but deck supports still to fix.
Issue 3 : Glue frames to keel. : Done, but deck supports still to fix.
Issue 4 : Glue frames to keel. : Done, but deck supports still to fix.
Issue 5 : Glue frames to keel. : Done, but deck supports still to fix.
Issue 6 : Fit keel pieces and deck supports.

Take me back to week 5

Take me to week 7